It’s hard to believe it’s been 4 years since Pat and I officially launched our business. So much has happened in these past 4 years that it’s hard to put into a single blog post! There have been many lessons learned, tears shed (both good and bad) and tons of absolutely amazing moments! Through all of this, being a business owner has made me a stronger person and has made me more passionate than anything else I’ve ever done.
Here are 7 lessons I’ve learned from owning a business!
- That this business isn’t about us, but our clients. I consider us lucky to work with some of THE BEST couples out there. I feel like we get each other and could laugh for days with every single one of them. I also feel honored to give them the gift of memories. That’s what it’s all about.
- To say no. Ugh…if you’re anything like me, aka a people pleaser, it is VERY hard to say no! The truth of the matter is that not everything and everyone will be a fit for your business and that’s okay. No, really, it is. Do and take what makes you happy and fits your business! Both parties will benefit from this.
- To be open to change. Just when you think you have it all together, you decide to mix things up. Changes always ends up being better in the end but the amount of work it takes is out of control!
- To be open to criticism. Okay, I’m still working on this one BUT I have gotten better!
- To speak up. By nature I am a shy person. Although, somehow on a wedding day or meetings with clients, I find myself being the complete opposite of that.
- That owning a photography business is 20% taking photos and 80% EVERYTHING ELSE! We came into this business thinking, “Oh yay! We can take pretty pictures”! Yes, that’s true. But that’s so miniscule in the grand scheme of things.
- To keep going even when I feel like giving up. Yes, everyone has their weak moments. The same is true for me. Even though I am sometimes hard on myself, I am SO MUCH happier when I’ve gotten beyond my own insecurities and keep dream chasing!
If you are a business owner, do you have anything to add to this list??